Connect with us

World

Shipwreck of Migrants: Drama for Refugees off the Italian Coast

Published

on

Shipwreck of Migrants: Drama for Refugees off the Italian Coast

As of: 02/26/2023 4:11 PM

A boat carrying migrants crashes into a rock as far as the eye can see from the southern coast of Italy. More than 50 people drowned. The right-wing government in Italy was concerned, but also encouraged in its course.

Several migrants have died in a devastating boat accident off the coast of southern Italy. According to official information, 58 deaths have been recovered so far. At least 80 survivors were rescued. Some survivors reported that about 250 people were on the boat. Others spoke from 140 to 180.

Rescuers found some dead people on the beach. Others were seen adrift at sea during the day and recovered. According to the Italian news agency, among the drowned were many women and children. Those rescued were taken care of on the ground first and some were taken to hospitals. Pictures show them sitting on the bank, wrapped in blankets, while rescue workers searched for other survivors and retrieved bodies.

“At least we now know there were at least 45 victims,” Helge Rover, ARD Roma, said in the boat accident off the Italian coast.

tagesschau24 3pm, 26.2.2023

The boat crashes near the shore

According to preliminary information, the migrants were traveling on a fishing boat when it hit a rock and broke not far from the coast of Steccato di Cutro, a seaside resort in the province of Crotone. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni announced that the migrants were traveling in the 20-meter boat in bad weather conditions. Large wooden parts of the boat were washed away and can be seen in photos from the scene. A provincial government official told Reuters the boat had set sail three or four days ago from Izmir in eastern Turkey. According to information from the Italian news agency Adnkronos, the migrants are said to come mainly from Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Members of the Italian government were worried. Prime Minister Meloni expressed her sorrow for the many deaths caused by smugglers. „It is inhumane to trade the lives of men, women and children for the 'price’ of the ticket they pay with the false possibility of a safe journey,” the politician said. Meloni announced that she would work with the European Union to take joint action against shipments organized by smugglers. Your government is determined to stop irregular migration to avoid further tragedies. Interior Minister Matteo Bentedosi said it was necessary to stop the sea crossings. It offers immigrants an „illusion of a better life” in Europe, enriches human traffickers and causes „tragedies like today”.

Along with parts of the wrecked boat, the bodies of drowned migrants washed ashore at Steccato di Cutro.

Photo: EPA

The Pope prays for the victims

Pope Francis reacted with grief to the immigrants’ deaths. At the noon prayer in St. Peter’s Square, he said: „I pray for those who died there and for the missing and the survivors.” He explicitly thanked everyone who provided first aid to those stranded and those who received them.

According to Italy’s Interior Ministry, 13,067 migrants entered the country by sea this year, as of Thursday. This is much more than double what it was in the same period the previous year. Most migrants arrive in Italy on ships and boats run by gangs of people smugglers. The boats are often overcrowded and rarely seaworthy. A new law by Meloni’s right-wing government, passed by the Senate last week, makes it more difficult for sea rescuers out in the Mediterranean to rescue migrants in distress from drowning. Thousands of people have already died in shipwrecks. According to the International Organization for Migration, 20,333 people have died or gone missing in the central Mediterranean since 2014.

READ  Trump suffers two bitter defeats in court in one day

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *

World

Interview of the week – Von der Leyen sets terms for cooperation with MPs from right-wing parties

Published

on

Interview of the week – Von der Leyen sets terms for cooperation with MPs from right-wing parties

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in Copenhagen in May 2024 (picture Alliance / Ritzau Scanpix / Ida Marie Odgaard)

The Commission President stressed that it is about winning over political forces for – I quote – “the majority in the centre”. Von der Leyen stressed that there is no obligatory faction in the European Parliament. Rather, you must constantly search for and form the majority. That’s why it makes sense to look at individual representatives.

Von der Leyen is running in the European elections as the European People’s Party’s best candidate for a second term as Commission President. The CDU politician confirmed that the elections were „directional elections.” Rather, it is about developing Europe – or dividing and dismantling it.

Accusation of rapprochement with post-fascists in Italy

The Commission President has been criticized for not ruling out cooperation with the right-wing conservative ECR group in the European Parliament. The Social Democrats, the Left and the Greens accused her of cozying up to post-fascism in Italy. Prime Minister Meloni’s „Fratelli d’Italia” party is part of the European Council’s parliamentary group. Von der Leyen recently described Meloni as „clearly pro-European”.

Demand fair trade from China

In Deutschlandfunk, von der Leyen again criticized China’s trade practices. There is weak demand in China, but the country still heavily subsidizes electric vehicle production. So there is excess capacity. The United States has closed its market, so the European Union must be careful not to end up on the European market.

The Commission President pointed to the Chinese solar industry, which was heavily subsidized by the state and dominated the market with cheap products. Von der Leyen demanded fair trade.

READ  A Palestinian criticizes Hamas during an interview at a clinic in Gaza

Investigation into protective definitions

She explained that the Commission has begun an investigation into the issue of protective tariffs on electric cars coming from China, as required by the rules of the World Trade Organization. However, the results are not yet available. The first step is to talk to the Chinese government. Von der Leyen rejected the accusation that she was heading towards a trade war with China.

Interview of the week with Ursula von der Leyen You can here Read slowly. You can listen to it Sunday at 11:05 am on Deutschlandfunk or soon in the DLF audio library.

This message was sent on May 25, 2024 via Deutschlandfunk.

Continue Reading

World

The 3-year-old boy likely died of starvation while his parents and sisters were celebrating at a burger restaurant

Published

on

The 3-year-old boy likely died of starvation while his parents and sisters were celebrating at a burger restaurant
  1. Homepage
  2. world

He presses

In the case of the boy (3) from Epps near Kufstein (Tyrol) who starved to death at home, new shocking details continue to come to light. There is a suspicion of murder against the parents.

Kufstein – The starvation death of a three-year-old boy from the town of Epps north of Kufstein, on the German border, shocked the whole of Austria and the Bavarian region. An application for pre-trial detention was filed against the boy’s parents, which was implemented It was also imposed on Friday afternoon. Both are suspected of murder. The father loudly refuses oe24.at Any statement the mother makes is unbelievable.

Tragedy in Austria: A young child (3 years old) was found dead in bed – his parents suspect murder

According to the spokesman for the Innsbruck Public Prosecutor’s Office, Hansjörg Mayer, “According to previous investigations, there is suspicion that the suspects failed to provide the three-year-old boy with food and fluids over a period of at least several weeks despite his clearly deteriorating health condition.” Contact He went to the doctor because of his apparent weight loss, and the child died as a result of the severe malnutrition he suffered from.”

The little boy likely starved to death in a family-friendly apartment complex. © Zoom Tyrol

On Wednesday, May 22, the suspected Austrian parents (25 and 26 years old) were arrested after staying in the hospital due to a psychological emergency. The first investigations took place on Thursday, May 23.

The boy was not fed “even though he was crying and screaming.”

The prosecutor’s office also announced that the father, a professional driver, exercised his right to refuse to testify. On the other hand, his wife stated that “the child had been sick for the past few weeks and had no appetite. Prosecutors confirmed that a doctor’s visit was planned soon oe24.at There were rumors in the city that the boy had been lying dead in his bed for some time before his father raised the alarm on Monday. Accordingly, the time of death was on Pentecost Sunday. Therefore, the three sisters (1, 3, and 6 years old) did not show symptoms of deficiency. She was cared for by Child and Youth Services.

READ  Ukraine war in live tape: Thousands of Ukrainian prisoners are said to have been brought to Russia

How likely it is that the baby’s death had other medical causes will be clarified in further investigations – but so far there is no evidence of this. In sum, the child “was not fed, even though he was crying and screaming, while his twin sister and the other two girls (1 and 6 years old) were cared for and protected.”

The parents are said to have celebrated his birthday with the boy’s sisters

On the Friday before Pentecost, the parents celebrated their eldest daughter’s birthday at a fast-food burger joint while the little girl was alone at home, nearing death, reports said. oe24.at. At the weekend, the family went to the Grand Knights’ Festival in Kufstein – again without the boy. high picture Neighbors noticed that the family was receiving food often. The role of the grandmother, who is said to have sometimes looked after the children, is unclear. She protested strongly in front of reporters, saying that she had not noticed anything.

In Lower Austria, a woman and her partner were recently sentenced to long prison terms because they locked their son (12 years old) in a dog cage and tortured him almost to death. The case of Josef Fritzl, who held his daughter prisoner in an underground apartment from 1984 to 2008, occurred in Lower Austria.

Continue Reading

World

Russia must „take steps” in the Baltic Sea

Published

on

Russia must „take steps” in the Baltic Sea
  1. Homepage
  2. Policy

He presses

Moscow’s plan to expand its maritime borders angers NATO. On the other hand, the Kremlin wants to tighten measures in the Baltic Sea to ensure “security.”

Moscow – The Kremlin wants to tighten its measures in the Baltic Sea, according to its own statements, to ensure Russia’s security from „a confrontation in the Baltic Sea.” This was announced by Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov at a press conference on Wednesday (May 22).

In recent days, signs have emerged of a worsening conflict in the Baltic Sea because Russia plans to expand its maritime borders to the waters of Finland and Lithuania on its own initiative. In the summary of the press conference on Newsweek According to reports, Kremlin spokesman Peskov was also asked about state borders in the Baltics.

No dialogue is possible: the Kremlin blames the West and Lithuania expels the Russian ambassador from the country.

“The scale of the confrontation in the Baltic region requires Russia to take steps to ensure its security,” Peskov said, according to what was reported by the official news agency. TASS. “The situation in the world requires intense dialogue to find ways out of tensions, but the collective West rejects that.”

The Lithuanian Foreign Ministry in Vilnius said on Wednesday that it was summoning the Russian representative and demanding a “full explanation.” Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis called for a „decisive and appropriate” response from member states NATO And European Union. Finnish Foreign Minister Elina Valtonen said her government was monitoring the situation.

READ  Explosion near Moscow: eight people are missing
The Baltic Sea became the „NATO Sea”. Russia has a problem with this. (Avatar) © Picture Alliance/DPA/AP | Salvatore Cavalli

Russia no longer has an ambassador in Vilnius after Lithuania expelled its then-ambassador in April 2022 over atrocities committed by the Russian army in Bucha, Ukraine, and downgraded diplomatic relations with Russia. With these summons, Lithuania responded to a draft decision published by the Russian Ministry of Defense, on Tuesday, to expand Russian maritime areas to the waters of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) countries and the European Union countries of Lithuania and Finland.

Background: The Russian draft resolution shows the expansion of the border into the Lithuanian and Finnish regions

Through a new unilateral determination of the geographical coordinates of Russia’s maritime borders, the Lithuanian and Finnish regions in the Baltic Sea will be added to Russia. Specifically, according to a Russian Defense Ministry document, the maritime borders of Russia’s western Kaliningrad region and the eastern Gulf of Finland will be transferred.

“We have no official information about what Russia is planning,” Valtonen said. Meanwhile, the top Finnish diplomat confirmed that the Russian Federation is also United nations.-Maritime Boundaries Agreement. “We expect Russia to respect the agreement,” Valtonen said.

The recent accession of Sweden and Finland to NATO, sparked by the Russian invasion of Ukraine, gave rise to the term “NATO Sea” for the Baltic Sea, which is entirely surrounded by NATO members, with the exception of Russia.

Experts are sure that Putin wants to control the Baltic Sea

The waters are a flashpoint for regional tensions that include GPS jamming blamed on Russia, a migration crisis that Finland believes was sparked by Moscow, and warnings from international leaders. Vladimir Putin It could attack a NATO member state.

Swedish Army Commander Mikael Biden also warned of Russia’s ambitions for power in the Baltic Sea. “I’m sure Putin has his eyes on Gotland. Putin’s goal is to control the Baltic Sea,” the army chief told newspapers. Editorial Network Germany. Biden continued: “The Baltic Sea must not become Putin’s playground where he terrorizes NATO members.”

Continue Reading

Trending