Connect with us

World

++ Ukraine News: Heavy losses for Russia

Published

on

++ Ukraine News: Heavy losses for Russia
  1. Homepage
  2. Policy

Since the beginning of the year, Russia has increased its use of chemical weapons on the battlefield. News ticker about the Ukraine war.

  • weight losses:More than 5,000 Russian soldiers killed in one week?
  • Forbidden chemical weapons: The General Staff raises allegations against Vladimir Putin's army
  • Ukraine Conference in Davos: Volodymyr Zelensky discusses the „peace formula”
  • The information processed here comes from international media and news agencies, but also from warring parties Russia, Ukraine and their allies. In particular, information on losses suffered by the armies participating in the Ukrainian war cannot be independently verified.

Updated from January 14 at 3:50 PM EST: The war in Ukraine is said to have serious consequences for Russia's healthcare system. In an intelligence update, the British Ministry of Defense said that the civilian population was likely feeling the impact of the war on healthcare. Recently, Russian media have increasingly reported that the general population of Russia is facing problems with easy access to hospital services, medicines or antibiotics.

Heavy losses in the Ukraine war: Russia loses 5,270 soldiers in a week

Updated from January 14, 2:26 p.m: According to Ukrainian authorities, Russia may have lost more than 5,000 soldiers this week. Russian forces are still suffering heavy losses in the ongoing fighting. Kiev also reported that 58 Russian artillery systems were destroyed and 49 drones were disabled. Reports on this, among other things Newsweek.

The total number of Russian casualties in the Ukraine war remains uncertain, as the numbers provided by Ukraine are higher than other estimates. In late October, British defense officials announced that Russia's losses could reach 190,000 men, including those killed and permanently wounded. However, this number does not include Wagner Group mercenaries.

READ  A car runs over a crowd in Stettin - 17 injured
The Ukrainian military continues to celebrate the successes of the US M142 HIMARS missile launch system. © Imago/ZumaWire

Updated from January 14, 12:53 p.m: Drones shape the war in Ukraine. Expert Ulrike Franke has now explained to IPPEN.MEDIA what developments can be expected next: “The Lancet drones are actually a problem for Ukraine,” said Franke of the European Council on Foreign Relations, a well-known think tank.

Huge loss for Russia: Ukraine will likely eliminate drone 'killers'.

Updated January 14 at 11:41 AM: Russia is currently hitting Ukraine repeatedly with particularly intense air strikes. The world is currently witnessing an “arms race,” especially with regard to drones, as Russia recently engaged in a “first-person perspective” drone war. And now Kremlin President Putin's army has reportedly lost a „deadly” drone.

Missiles and drones missing in Ukraine war: Pentagon is missing weapons

The first report: KIEV – Ukraine's peace plans begin in Davos today. At the same time, there are fears of new Russian attacks in Ukraine itself. Recently, the Russian military repeatedly fired on Ukraine with dozens of missiles, cruise missiles and drones within a few hours.

At the same time, it became known that the US Department of Defense apparently did not adequately track arms shipments to Ukraine in recent months: according to a report, the Pentagon is missing weapons worth $1.7 billion.

Chemical weapons in the Ukraine war? The General Staff raises accusations against Russia

Ukraine now accuses Russia of repeatedly using banned tear gas in the Ukraine war. The Ukrainian General Staff said that 626 cases had been counted since the beginning of the war. In the first days of January 2024, there were 51 cases – with an increasing trend of up to ten attacks per day.

The use of tear gas in war is prohibited under the Chemical Weapons Convention, to which Russia is also a signatory. There was no independent confirmation of the Ukrainian information. The US Institute for the Study of War (ISW) addressed this information in a report on Saturday evening, but did not cite any additional sources.

Ukraine War: Davos Conference Begins – Missile barrage from Russia

President Volodymyr Zelensky's government will discuss Ukraine's future with government representatives from about 80 countries on Sunday (January 14) in the Swiss ski resort of Davos. The focus is on the so-called peace formula proposed by Zelensky for the war in Ukraine. On Saturday, the Ukrainian President received the new French Foreign Minister Stephane Ségornet in Kiev. (With news agency materials)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *

World

Putin’s fear of „overheating” and inflation

Published

on

Putin’s fear of „overheating” and inflation
  1. Homepage
  2. a job

He presses

The Russian economy is weak under the current circumstances. Clearly, Putin must think again if he wants to save the economy, because time is running out.

MOSCOW – The West is gradually turning away from Kremlin President Vladimir Putin. Now fears about the negative consequences that the Russian economy may suffer are so present that more and more Russian business representatives are appealing to Putin. The war in Ukraine and sanctions have greatly weakened the Russian economy, and Putin appears to be running out of resources to avoid the worst-case scenario.

The Russian economy is in crisis – high inflation is putting Putin under pressure

Recently, there have been increasing warnings of signs of „overheating” of the Russian economy. Hermann Greif became particularly clear, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sberbank, the largest financial institution in Russia. Gref told the state news agency that the Russian economy is „very overheated.” Tass.ru on June 4, 2024. It is simply “impossible” to exceed this production capacity and produce more.

The Russian economy is increasingly suffering from sanctions and the war in Ukraine. © Yuri Kochetkov/DPA

In December 2023, the head of the Central Bank, Elvira Nabiullina, had already expressed concern: “The economy is growing so fast because it is exhausting almost all available resources. Stubbornly high inflation is evidence that the economy has deviated from its potential and lacks the capacity to meet growing demand.” In fact, inflation remains a major problem in the Russian economy.

Inflation remains a major problem for the Russian economy

As the Russian statistics agency Rosstat announced on Friday (June 14, 2024), the inflation rate in May reached 8.3 percent on an annual basis. It is the highest value since February 2023. This was higher than the value of 7.8 percent at the end of April and well above the country’s official inflation target of 4.0 percent. The rapid rise in prices put pressure on the Russian Central Bank to continue raising interest rates to control inflation.

READ  UN Resolution: Baerbock defends Germany's abstention from the vote

It also remains to be seen what impact the latest US sanctions will have on Russia’s financial sector. On Wednesday (June 12, 2024), the United States imposed new sanctions on supporters of Russia’s war of aggression, including against Chinese companies. According to the US government, the punitive measures target more than 300 people and institutions that enabled Russia to continue the war – including the stock exchange in Moscow. The Moscow Stock Exchange announced that it would stop trading in dollars and euros in response. This step would push the Russian economy into further isolation.

Sanctions imposed on the Russian economy lead to a slowdown in growth

Penalties and The Ukraine war forced Putin to shift to a war economy, which now retaliates and also slows growth. The domestic economy proved resilient – ​​but according to the World Bank, this was due to the intensification of the war economy, subsidies and private demand, which was stronger than expected. Experts have long warned that the war economy will not be sustainable in the long term.

The World Bank expects economic growth of 2.9 percent for 2024 (January: 1.3 percent), and 1.4 percent (January: 0.9 percent) for next year. Military production continues to have positive effects, but private demand is likely to decline. In April 2024, the International Monetary Fund expected economic growth of 3.2 percent for next year, based on new economic data. The era of the „growth miracle” appears to be coming to an end. (Buhi with materials from the German Press Agency and Agence France-Presse)

Continue Reading

World

War in the Middle East: “Severe consequences for the region” – the Israeli army warns of escalation

Published

on

War in the Middle East: “Severe consequences for the region” – the Israeli army warns of escalation
outside War in the Middle East

“Serious consequences for the region” – the Israeli army warns of escalation

Launching 160 missiles – “We know that Hezbollah has 130,000 missiles.”

Hezbollah is said to have fired 160 shells into northern Israel. A Hezbollah commander and a number of its members were said to have been killed in Israeli attacks previously, according to Lebanese security circles. Israeli correspondent Gisela Dachs reports from Tel Aviv.

You can listen to our WELT podcasts here

In order to view embedded content, it is necessary to obtain your revocable consent to the transfer and processing of personal data, as providers of embedded content require this consent as third-party service providers. [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]. By setting the switch to „On”, you agree to this (revocable at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Article 49(1)(a) of the GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can revoke your consent at any time using the key and privacy at the bottom of the page.

Almost daily battles take place between the Israeli army and the Shiite Hezbollah militia in the border area with Lebanon. The Israeli army warned of a major escalation and accused Hezbollah of wanting to turn Lebanon into a protective shield for the Hamas terrorist organization.

IThe Israeli army warns of a dangerous expansion of the conflict with the Shiite Hezbollah militia in the border region with Lebanon. In a video statement issued Sunday evening, army spokesman Daniel Hagari accused the militia of increasing attacks and thus endangering their country’s future. He added, „Hezbollah’s increasing aggression could lead us to the brink of a major escalation that could have devastating consequences for Lebanon and the entire region.” They expressed their deep concern about the growing tensions.

Since the beginning of the Gaza war more than eight months ago, the situation has become noticeably worse, and almost daily battles are now taking place between the Israeli army and Hezbollah. The militia, backed by Iran, Israel’s arch enemy, is allied with the Islamist Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip, but is considered much stronger. Hezbollah recently intensified its attacks after the Israeli army targeted one of its leaders last week. Lebanese security circles said at the time that the situation in southern Lebanon was “moving towards escalation.”

Hamas’ „protection shield”.

Hajri accused Hezbollah of wanting to turn Lebanon into a protective shield for the Hamas terrorist organization. The spokesman said that Israel will not allow the events of October 7 to be repeated on any of the country’s borders, referring to the devastating terrorist attack launched by Hamas and other groups on southern Israel last year.

The massacre resulted in the deaths of 1,200 people and the holding of 250 others hostage in the Gaza Strip. In the course of the war that broke out, more than 37,000 Palestinians were killed, according to information from Hamas-controlled health authorities that cannot be independently verified. About 80 percent of the population flees within the closed coastal strip.

Read also

Rape by Hamas

Hajri said that Israel will take the necessary measures to protect its citizens “until security is restored along our borders with Lebanon.” According to a report published by the Israeli newspaper Maariv, the armed forces later confirmed that Hagari’s words did not constitute a threat, but rather were intended as a message to the international community.

The head of the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon, Aroldo Lazaro, and the country’s special coordinator, Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, warned in a joint statement that there is a „very real risk” that a single miscalculation could lead to large-scale conflict. Saturday clarification. He added: „We will continue to communicate with the parties and call on all parties to lay down their arms in order to work to reach a political and diplomatic solution.”

Limited ceasefire in southern Gaza

Hajari’s warning came after the Israeli army announced a limited ceasefire lasting several hours in the southern Gaza Strip. The „tactical break” along an important road is intended to enable more aid to be delivered to the coastal area. The decision was reportedly taken after consultations with the United Nations and international organizations.

The army stressed that the break applies to a road leading from the Kerem Shalom border crossing to the northeast, but it does not apply to the city of Rafah on the Egyptian border, and fighting must continue there. The border crossing there, which was the main entry point for aid delivery until the Israeli military advance on Rafah, remains closed. Due to the large number of deaths and the catastrophic humanitarian situation, Israel’s actions in the Gaza war are causing great controversy at the international level.

The Israeli ground operation in the Gaza Strip

The Israeli ground operation in the Gaza Strip

Source: OpenStreetMap; The world of infographics

The body responsible for Palestinian affairs in Israel, „Cogat”, said on Sunday that more than a thousand trucks carrying aid were waiting to be transported from the Gaza Strip at the Kerem Shalom border crossing. United Nations relief organizations only picked up 92 vehicles throughout the day.

Due to the ongoing fighting between the Israeli army and Hamas, the World Food Program recently warned of a further deterioration in the supply situation for the population in the southern Gaza Strip. As a result, they may soon suffer from the same catastrophic hunger situation as those in the northern regions.

READ  Tourists flee wildfires at sea
Continue Reading

World

One message in three years: Aung San Suu Kyi’s family complains of annoying radio silence

Published

on

One message in three years: Aung San Suu Kyi’s family complains of annoying radio silence

One message in three years
Aung San Suu Kyi’s family complains of annoying radio silence

Listen to the material

This audio version was created artificially. More information | Send your opinion

After the coup that took place three years ago, the then de facto head of government, Suu Kyi, was imprisoned. Although the sentence is likely to be reduced at a later date, the family describe how they had almost no contact with the 78-year-old woman for years, who is said to have health problems.

The family of Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar’s ousted government leader in crisis, has had no contact with the Nobel Peace Prize laureate since she was imprisoned nearly three years ago. Her son, Kim Aris, told the Italian newspaper La Repubblica: “In three and a half years, we have received only one letter from her, last January.” But after that, he and his brother were never heard from again. Not even after Suu Kyi was transferred from prison in April.

After the coup on February 1, 2021, the military ousted and arrested the de facto democratically elected head of government, Suu Kyi. A junta-controlled court later sentenced her to 33 years in prison for several alleged crimes. In 2023, the junta reduced Suu Kyi’s sentence to six years. In April, she was transferred from prison in the capital, Naypyidaw, to another location. According to the son, the family was not informed of her whereabouts.

The 78-year-old Suu Kyi’s two sons heard that their mother is sick and suffering from severe toothache that prevents them from eating. Then they sent her a package of medicine. “In January, incredibly, we received a signed letter from her,” Aris said. In the letter, Suu Kyi thanked her for the medicine, but wrote that she was still ill. However, according to Ari, the sons had no response to another package of medications.

READ  UN Resolution: Baerbock defends Germany's abstention from the vote
Continue Reading

Trending