Connect with us

World

NATO says the Russian Kharkiv attack may fail

Published

on

NATO says the Russian Kharkiv attack may fail
  1. Homepage
  2. Policy

He presses

Despite heavy losses in the Ukraine war: Russia is sticking to its attack on Kharkiv. But NATO does not believe in the possibility of achieving a breakthrough on the front.

Kharkiv – With tanks, drones and tens of thousands of soldiers: The Russian army has been bombing the Kharkiv region for weeks in its aggressive war on Ukraine. Attackers also specifically exploit some weaknesses in defenses. However, Western military observers do not currently expect Putin’s forces to march through Ukraine’s second-largest city. NATO confirmed this.

Kharkiv offensive in the Ukrainian war: NATO doubts the Russian army’s ability to penetrate it

The Commander-in-Chief of NATO forces in Europe, Christopher Cavoli, said, according to what the news agency reported, “The Russians do not have the military power necessary to achieve a strategic breakthrough.” dpa. Russia with Kharkiv attack He added that they are capable of achieving local successes – and “that is what they did.” But heavy losses were also suffered at the front in the Ukrainian war. But more cannot be expected. Because the Russian army lacks the “skills and ability” to do so, according to the military expert.

The Kharkiv offensive continues in the Ukrainian war. Kyiv defends itself against Russian attacks. But there are always air alarms. (Archive photo) © Kostiantyn Liberov/AP/dpa

Despite losses in the Ukraine war: Russian forces have made some gains in the territories near Kharkiv

In the ongoing aggressive war against Ukraine for more than two years, Russia has recently increasingly targeted the area around the city of Kharkiv. Last March, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s forces massed more than 30,000 troops in the east of the country and launched an offensive. Several villages were captured and the defenders had to evacuate other communities. Although he suffered Russia is still suffering heavy losses. However, ground gains have increased in recent days as the attackers faced poorly fortified defenses – a circumstance that Putin’s forces appear to have deliberately sought to exploit.

READ  Mass protests on the "Day of Chaos" against judicial reform in Israel

Ukraine War: Map showing the current front line

In fact, the Ukrainian defense lines on this part of the front against a possible Kharkiv attack were rather weak. This was brought by the British guardian. The newspaper quoted Ukrainian commander Denis Yaroslavsky as saying that in Vovchansk, less than 65 kilometers northwest of Kharkiv, “there was simply no first line of defense and no mines.” In addition, the Ukrainian units in this area were not combat ready.

Air alert in Kharkiv: Zelensky describes the situation on the front as “difficult”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky admitted after a meeting of the War Cabinet that the situation in the Kharkiv region is “very difficult.” He had previously traveled near the New Front on Thursday (16 May) and consulted with his military officers there. Shortly after that, the weather alert for the eastern regions of Ukraine began. The Russian army bombed the city of Kharkiv with drones for more than 16 hours. This was one of the longest air raid warnings since the beginning of Russia’s war of aggression. However, the situation is “under control,” Zelensky promised.

The defenders now hope to obtain supplies of weapons. After more than two years of fighting, ammunition supplies have been exhausted in recent months. But the US Congress recently approved the delivery of new arms shipments to Ukraine. Large quantities of ammunition, short-range air defense systems and new armored vehicles are now scheduled to be brought to the front. (jkf)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *

World

Ukraine War: Ukraine and NATO reject Putin’s ceasefire conditions

Published

on

Ukraine War: Ukraine and NATO reject Putin’s ceasefire conditions

the Ukraine He rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin’s conditions for a ceasefire and peace negotiations, describing them as „eyewash.” “There is nothing new, no real peace proposals and no desire to end the fighting,” Ukrainian presidential advisor Mykhailo Podlyak wrote on Channel X. One must stop taking Russia’s „proposals” seriously, which contradict common sense.

It was before Put it in He told Russian Foreign Ministry executives that his country would „immediately cease fire and begin talks” if Ukraine withdraws from the Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions and renounces NATO membership. Ukraine should also fully hand over to Russia the areas partially occupied by the Russian army.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba described Putin’s statements as ridiculous. Kuleba said that Putin’s goal is to mislead the international community.

The United States government does not want peace through dictatorship

Secretary General of NATO Jens Stoltenberg He said at the conclusion of a meeting of defense ministers in Brussels that Putin’s conditions „are not a peace proposal” but „a proposal for more aggression and more occupation.”

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin accused Putin of wanting to „dictate” peace to Ukraine. Putin has occupied Ukrainian territory in violation of international law and has been unable to tell Ukraine what to do to reach a solution. Austin said: “We do not want the leader of a country to wake up one day and decide to erase his neighbor’s borders and annex his lands. This is not the world we all want to live in.”

Ukraine demands the complete withdrawal of Russian forces

Ukraine is conducting a complete withdrawal of Russian forces from its internationally recognized territory, including in 2014. Russia Annexation of Crimea as a condition for possible peace negotiations.

READ  Marina weissband near ellner: the war could have ended long ago in politics

Sahira Wagenknecht finds Putin’s demands „understandable”

On the other hand, BSW President Sarah Wagenknecht called for openness to Putin’s conditions. Wagenknecht said Ukraine and the West must „avoid the historical mistake of crudely dismissing signals from Moscow as unrealistic maximum demands.” Instead, Putin’s initiative should be treated “with due seriousness” and seen as a starting point for negotiations.

Wagenknecht said that Ukraine’s permanent non-nuclear status and renunciation of NATO membership are „understandable demands from Russia.” It is „in Europe’s existential interest to find a compromise now to avoid the risk of a major European war.” The G7 heads of state and government must respond quickly to this offer.

At the end of the week, representatives of more than 90 countries and organizations want to speak in Switzerland about the possibilities for achieving peace in Ukraine. Russia does not participate.

Continue Reading

World

Elections in Great Britain: Poll finds the UK Reform Party ahead of the Conservative Party for the first time

Published

on

Elections in Great Britain: Poll finds the UK Reform Party ahead of the Conservative Party for the first time

Three weeks before Great Britain’s general election, the right-wing populist Reform Party of Britain is said to have overtaken Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s conservative Conservative Party in a poll for the first time. In the institute’s published survey YouGov On behalf of the newspaper times The UK’s reform rate rose by two percentage points to 19 per cent, putting it in second place behind Labour.

According to the poll, Labor itself lost one percentage point, but is still clearly in the lead with 37 percent. President Rishi Sunak’s Conservatives remained unchanged at 18 percent, putting them in third place for the first time. Although the gap between the Conservatives and Reform in the UK is small, YouGov is already talking about a political 'earthquake’.

However, the impressive result of the poll by international opinion research institute YouGov rests on a relatively uncertain foundation. There is currently no other poll to confirm the result. YouGov surveys are based on invitations via email or in the YouGov app. There, users can answer questions on a wide range of topics. Users receive points that can be collected and redeemed for rewards.

About uncertainties in surveys

Representative surveys are always subject to errors. It can be assumed that the actual value is likely to be in the range of one to three percentage points above or below the finally declared measured values. We now show the corridor for this statistical error in our graphics of the election polls.

Results are always based on sample surveys. These services usually only cover certain parts of the population (such as people with a landline phone connection or Internet users). Some potential participants are passive and do not even want to be interviewed. Questions are sometimes misunderstood and not always answered truthfully. For example, also in response to previous surveys. However, in order to account for general opinion across all population groups, pollsters must compensate for missing measurements and suspected inaccuracies and reweight the available numbers. These (usually opaque) formulas vary between institutions and therefore lead to different data.

READ  Türkiye: The Foreign Affairs Committee votes in favor of Sweden joining NATO

Survey results are always snapshots. Nothing more can be drawn from this than an approximate tendency of opinion. Even if the statements and calculations at the time of the poll’s publication were close to reality, it is still unclear whether voters surveyed at that time would actually cast their ballots later or change their minds in a short time.

The Conservatives have been in power for 14 years and are under intense pressure before the elections. In opinion polls, the Conservatives have been significantly trailing the opposition Labor Party for several months.

The Reform Party UK is the new party led by Nigel Farage, who was previously leader of the Brexit Party. With its tough anti-immigrant stance, the UK Reform Party could steal more votes from the Conservatives. Farage said in a debate on Britain’s ITV that he actually sees his party as „the opposition to Labour”.

Continue Reading

World

The United States warns of destabilization: The Israeli Finance Minister cuts off funds to the Palestinians

Published

on

The United States warns of destabilization: The Israeli Finance Minister cuts off funds to the Palestinians

The United States warns of destabilization
The Israeli Minister of Finance cuts off funds to the Palestinians

Listen to the material

This audio version was created artificially. More information | Send your opinion

Israel collects taxes and customs duties for the benefit of the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank. Finance Minister Smotrich is holding back 30 million euros and wants to pay this money to the Israeli victims of the Hamas massacre. The United States rejects this step.

Far-right Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich wants to withhold funds totaling $32.5 million (about 30.3 million euros) from the Palestinian Authority and pay them instead to Israeli victims of terrorism. The minister wrote on Platform X that he had signed a similar order and spoke of “historical justice.”

Smotrich accused the Palestinian Authority of promoting terrorism and paying money to the families of terrorists and Palestinian prisoners. According to the minister, the compensation amounts determined by the Israeli courts for victims of terrorism and their families will be deducted from the funds allocated to the Palestinian Authority.

The US government criticized the minister’s move, describing it as a „highly misleading decision” that threatens to destabilize the situation in the West Bank. US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said when asked in Washington that this conflicts with Israeli security interests. “We have made it clear to the Israeli government that this money belongs to the Palestinian people,” Miller said. “It must be transferred immediately to the Palestinian Authority. It must not be withheld. It must not be delayed.”

Payments to Hamas also stopped

Since the terrorist attack carried out by the Islamist Hamas movement on October 7, the Israeli authorities have withheld certain parts of tax and customs revenues from the Gaza Strip in order to prevent the payment of funds to Hamas.

Israel collects taxes and customs duties on behalf of the Authority. According to Norwegian information, this money constitutes about 65% of the income of the Palestinian Authority based in the West Bank, which it also uses to pay salaries. As part of an agreement with Norway, money from Israel began flowing to the Palestinian Authority again at the end of February. The Palestinian Authority pays social welfare to the families of Palestinian prisoners. The same applies to relatives of people killed by Israeli soldiers or settlers who are still alive.

READ  For four decades: The former US ambassador is said to have spied for Cuba
Continue Reading

Trending