Connect with us

World

Israel sees a “last chance” for a hostage deal before the attack on Rafah, according to a media report

Published

on

Israel sees a “last chance” for a hostage deal before the attack on Rafah, according to a media report
outside Conflict in the Middle East

Israel sees a „last chance” for a hostage deal before the attack on Rafah

New speculation about hostage deal – “Netanyahu feels forced to act”

WELT TV correspondent Max Hermes says that between 20 and 33 hostages from Hamas kidnappers may be released. Meanwhile, the US military has begun building a temporary dock for aid delivery on the coast of the Gaza Strip, according to the Department of Defense.

In Tel Aviv, negotiators are discussing the possibility of releasing Israeli hostages in Gaza. Various media outlets in the region reported that the chances are good. An Islamic state wants to pressure Hamas.

IAccording to media reports, Israel sees the latest efforts at a ceasefire and hostage agreement in the Gaza war as a „last chance” before the planned attack on the city of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip. A senior Israeli official said talks between Egyptian and Israeli representatives in Tel Aviv on Friday were “very good” and focused.

It seems that the Egyptians are ready to pressure the Islamic movement Hamas to reach an agreement. Progress was made in all areas in the talks, The Times of Israel cited related reports late Friday evening. The state-owned Cairo News Channel had previously reported significant progress.

The Israeli official was quoted as saying that Israel will not allow Hamas, especially its leader in Gaza, Jihya Sinwar, to delay the hostage deal to prevent the planned military attack in Rafah. A few days ago, the army mobilized two additional reserve brigades.

Initially, a limited agreement was reached with Hamas

Sinwar is considered the planner of the massacre that Israel witnessed on October 7 of last year, as a result of which about 1,200 Israelis were killed, and about 250 people were displaced to Gaza. It is believed to be located in tunnels under Rafah.

The Times of Israel quoted the unnamed Israeli government official as saying: “This is the last chance before we go to Rafah.” “Either an agreement in the near future or Rafah.” Israel wants to destroy the last remaining Hamas brigades in the southern Gaza City bordering Egypt. According to Israeli media, Egypt wants to reach an agreement to avoid the attack in Rafah. Egypt fears that Palestinians will cross the border in large numbers.

On the other hand, Hamas said that it had received an official response from Israel to the position of the extremist Palestinian Islamic organization in the ceasefire talks. Deputy Head of the Hamas Political Bureau in the Gaza Strip, Khalil Al-Hayya, said in a statement that the letter will be studied and a response will be provided.

New speculation about hostage deal – “Netanyahu feels forced to act”

WELT TV correspondent Max Hermes says that between 20 and 33 hostages from Hamas kidnappers may be released. Meanwhile, the US military has begun building a temporary dock for aid delivery on the coast of the Gaza Strip, according to the Department of Defense.

Source: WELT TV / Max Hermes

In Rafah, hundreds of thousands sought refuge to escape the fighting in the rest of the Gaza Strip. According to Israeli media, the recent talks between Egyptian and Israeli representatives were initially about a limited agreement with Hamas, under which only some women, the elderly, and the sick hostages would be released.

Hamas rejected an American proposal to release 40 of those kidnapped. According to her, there should not be a large number of hostages who fall into these categories alive. Hamas calls for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, which the Israeli government rejects.

READ  Emmanuel Macron announces the "remilitarization" of France
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *

World

NATO says the Russian Kharkiv attack may fail

Published

on

NATO says the Russian Kharkiv attack may fail
  1. Homepage
  2. Policy

He presses

Despite heavy losses in the Ukraine war: Russia is sticking to its attack on Kharkiv. But NATO does not believe in the possibility of achieving a breakthrough on the front.

Kharkiv – With tanks, drones and tens of thousands of soldiers: The Russian army has been bombing the Kharkiv region for weeks in its aggressive war on Ukraine. Attackers also specifically exploit some weaknesses in defenses. However, Western military observers do not currently expect Putin’s forces to march through Ukraine’s second-largest city. NATO confirmed this.

Kharkiv offensive in the Ukrainian war: NATO doubts the Russian army’s ability to penetrate it

The Commander-in-Chief of NATO forces in Europe, Christopher Cavoli, said, according to what the news agency reported, “The Russians do not have the military power necessary to achieve a strategic breakthrough.” dpa. Russia with Kharkiv attack He added that they are capable of achieving local successes – and “that is what they did.” But heavy losses were also suffered at the front in the Ukrainian war. But more cannot be expected. Because the Russian army lacks the “skills and ability” to do so, according to the military expert.

The Kharkiv offensive continues in the Ukrainian war. Kyiv defends itself against Russian attacks. But there are always air alarms. (Archive photo) © Kostiantyn Liberov/AP/dpa

Despite losses in the Ukraine war: Russian forces have made some gains in the territories near Kharkiv

In the ongoing aggressive war against Ukraine for more than two years, Russia has recently increasingly targeted the area around the city of Kharkiv. Last March, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s forces massed more than 30,000 troops in the east of the country and launched an offensive. Several villages were captured and the defenders had to evacuate other communities. Although he suffered Russia is still suffering heavy losses. However, ground gains have increased in recent days as the attackers faced poorly fortified defenses – a circumstance that Putin’s forces appear to have deliberately sought to exploit.

READ  Erdogan confirms his appointment - the expert believes that the "fall" of the president is possible

Ukraine War: Map showing the current front line

In fact, the Ukrainian defense lines on this part of the front against a possible Kharkiv attack were rather weak. This was brought by the British guardian. The newspaper quoted Ukrainian commander Denis Yaroslavsky as saying that in Vovchansk, less than 65 kilometers northwest of Kharkiv, “there was simply no first line of defense and no mines.” In addition, the Ukrainian units in this area were not combat ready.

Air alert in Kharkiv: Zelensky describes the situation on the front as “difficult”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky admitted after a meeting of the War Cabinet that the situation in the Kharkiv region is “very difficult.” He had previously traveled near the New Front on Thursday (16 May) and consulted with his military officers there. Shortly after that, the weather alert for the eastern regions of Ukraine began. The Russian army bombed the city of Kharkiv with drones for more than 16 hours. This was one of the longest air raid warnings since the beginning of Russia’s war of aggression. However, the situation is “under control,” Zelensky promised.

The defenders now hope to obtain supplies of weapons. After more than two years of fighting, ammunition supplies have been exhausted in recent months. But the US Congress recently approved the delivery of new arms shipments to Ukraine. Large quantities of ammunition, short-range air defense systems and new armored vehicles are now scheduled to be brought to the front. (jkf)

Continue Reading

World

Israel: Netanyahu must present a plan – otherwise Minister Gantz will threaten to withdraw from the government

Published

on

Israel: Netanyahu must present a plan – otherwise Minister Gantz will threaten to withdraw from the government
outside Final warning in Israel

Netanyahu must present a plan, otherwise Minister Gantz will threaten to withdraw from the government

Massive protests against Netanyahu in Israel again

Massive demonstrations took place again against Prime Minister Netanyahu in Israel. The demonstrators accuse the government of abandoning Hamas hostages. Meanwhile, Benny Gantz, a minister in the Israeli war cabinet, threatened to resign from the government.

Benny Gantz called on Prime Minister Netanyahu to present a plan for the post-war order in the Gaza Strip by June 8. If Gantz carries out his threat, it could have far-reaching consequences for the Israeli government.

BEni Gantz, a minister in the Israeli war cabinet, threatened to resign from the government led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The politician said Saturday evening in Tel Aviv that if the prime minister does not present a plan for the post-war regime in the Gaza Strip by June 8, he and other members of the National Union Party will leave the government.

Among other things, Gantz called for the establishment of an alternative American-European-Arab-Palestinian government in the Gaza Strip, which under no circumstances could be Hamas or Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. In addition, hostages from Gaza must be returned and relations with Saudi Arabia must be normalized. Gantz also called for adopting the concept of military service for all Israelis. “Prime Minister Netanyahu, I look you in the eye this evening and say – the choice is in your hands.”

Read also

The 64-year-old politician joined Netanyahu’s government as a minister without portfolio and a member of the war cabinet after the unprecedented attack by Hamas and other terrorist groups on October 7. In doing so, the participants wanted to send a signal of unity. The centrist party, the National Union, led by Gantz, stands in opposition. Opinion polls indicate that she is currently ahead by a large margin over the Likud Party led by Netanyahu.

Read also

One demonstrator shows an upside-down triangle with her fingers.  Hamas and its followers use an inverted red triangle to identify terrorist targets

Netanyahu’s office said that Gantz’s demands would mean a defeat for Israel, the handover of the majority of hostages, Hamas remaining in power, and the establishment of a Palestinian state, according to media reports. Netanyahu believes that forming an emergency government is important to achieve all the goals of the war, including the return of all hostages.

Brexit could lead to a government crisis

Israel is under international criticism due to the large number of civilian casualties and the catastrophic humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip. Many in the country complain that the war has not achieved a decisive victory, even after more than seven months. The fact that more than 100 hostages are still in the hands of Hamas also raises criticism of the government.

Read also

Jean-Luc Mélenchon at an anti-Israel demonstration in Geneva

Netanyahu has been in power since the end of 2022 alongside the far-right and extremist religious parties. He has so far refused to present a plan for the management and reconstruction of the Gaza Strip after the end of the war so as not to offend his partners in the far-right coalition.

Here you will find content from third parties

In order to view embedded content, it is necessary to obtain your revocable consent to the transfer and processing of personal data, as providers of embedded content require this consent as third-party service providers. [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]. By setting the switch to „On”, you agree to this (revocable at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Article 49(1)(a) of the GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can revoke your consent at any time using the key and privacy at the bottom of the page.

They are pursuing unrealistic goals such as building Jewish settlements in Gaza, but Netanyahu’s political survival depends on them. If Gantz carries out his threat and leaves the government, this could spark a government crisis.

READ  Trump is not allowed to run in Colorado's presidential primary
Continue Reading

World

Donald Trump demands Joe Biden take a drug test before debate

Published

on

Donald Trump demands Joe Biden take a drug test before debate

The two alleged contenders for the position of US President agreed on a date for a television debate. Now Trump is making a new request.

Former US President Donald Trump called on current President Joe Biden to submit to a drug test before their duel on Monday in a television debate for the first time during the election campaign at the end of June. „I don’t want him to get there like he did in the State of the Union address,” Trump said during a Republican Party event in St. Paul, Minnesota. „He was as high as a kite.”

Trump has previously indicated several times in interviews that the US President was under the influence of substances on various occasions. He previously made similar accusations against his rival, Hillary Clinton, during the 2016 election campaign. Trump has not yet provided any evidence for his allegations. Biden has not yet commented on Trump’s allegations.

Ahead of the US presidential election in November, President Joe Biden and his rival Donald Trump want to compete against each other in two televised debates. Biden challenged Trump to two televised duels on Wednesday, and he immediately accepted the challenge. The American CNN network said that the first debate will take place on June 27 in Atlanta, Georgia. The two competitors also agreed on a second date on September 10.

READ  Falling rocks on Lake Garda hit cars on the beach road
Continue Reading

Trending