Connect with us

World

Macron does not rule out the use of ground forces in Ukraine

Published

on

Macron does not rule out the use of ground forces in Ukraine
outside Conference in Paris

Macron does not rule out the use of ground forces in Ukraine

Macron does not rule out the use of ground forces in Ukraine

French President Macron said during a meeting of 20 heads of state and government in Paris that all options are open to prevent Russia from winning the war. This includes the possibility of sending ground forces to Ukraine. Olaf Schulz flatly rejects this.

You can listen to our WELT podcasts here

In order to view the embedded content, it is necessary to obtain your revocable consent to the transfer and processing of personal data, as the providers of the embedded content require this consent as third-party service providers. [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]. By setting the switch to „On”, you agree to this (revocable at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Article 49(1)(a) of the GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can revoke your consent at any time using the key and privacy at the bottom of the page.

According to French President Emmanuel Macron, nothing is ruled out to ensure that Russia does not win the war of aggression against Ukraine. This also includes sending soldiers through his country.

FFrench President Emmanuel Macron does not rule out his country's use of ground forces in Ukraine. Nothing can be ruled out to prevent a Russian victory in Ukraine, Macron said after concluding a Ukraine aid conference with more than 20 heads of state and government, including Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD), in Paris on Monday evening.

“There is no consensus today regarding officially sending ground forces,” Macron said. “But nothing in the dynamic can be ruled out. “We will do everything we can to ensure that Russia cannot win this war.” Many of the people who said “never, never” today are the same people who two years ago said, “never, never.” Tanks, never, never planes, never, never long-range missiles.” The discussion today is about becoming faster and stronger at delivering tanks and missiles. “So anything is possible if it is useful to achieve our goal,” the French President said.

Read also

“The general conclusion today is that the security of all of us is at stake,” Macron said at the beginning of the conference, which was organized at short notice. Russia's position is becoming more stringent at the political level and on the front in Ukraine, where there is a threat of new Russian attacks. Defeating Russia is essential for stability and security in Europe. That's why Ukraine's supporters need to move forward. “We are about ensuring our security today and tomorrow,” Macron said. The president also said: “We do not want to go to war with the Russian people.”

Populist Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico had previously stated that individual Western countries would consider sending their soldiers to Ukraine. “I did not say that France is not open to this,” Macron said. Rather, he is committed to “strategic ambiguity.”

The French President said that it was decided during the meeting to form an alliance that would provide Ukraine with medium- and long-range missiles and bombs to direct strikes far from Russian lines. In the short term, additional ammunition for Ukraine must also be mobilized from our own stockpiles and from third countries. There is currently no decision to hand over French Mirage fighters.

But he did not mention which countries should participate and in what form. Before the start of the conference, Chancellor Schulz reiterated his negative position on the deployment of long-range Taurus cruise missiles.

Read also

Limited support: Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Selensky

Defense against Russia

Macron said that it was decided during the conference to provide more aid to Ukraine faster. France also supports considerations of using common debt to finance European defense spending in light of the war in Ukraine. Similar to the Corona crisis, all European countries are affected by Russian aggression, which justifies the special path of joint debt. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who joined the conference shortly with a video message, called for more assistance so that Russia does not expand its aggression to other countries.

Nouripour: The deployment of Western ground forces in Ukraine is not a problem

After French President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Gabriel Attal also did not rule out sending ground forces to Ukraine. Macron reminded that “nothing can be ruled out in the war that is once again taking place in the heart of Europe and at the gates of the European Union,” Attal told RTL radio on Tuesday.

But Green Party leader Omid Nouripour said on Tuesday that deploying Western ground forces in Ukraine was not up for discussion. “It is not a problem at all. It is not an issue in the discussion in Germany or in the coalition,” Nouripour said on NTV. He said of the French president’s comments: “I was confronted by a humorous Macron who simply wanted to say: I don’t want to rule out any something”.

Here you will find content from third parties

In order to view the embedded content, it is necessary to obtain your revocable consent to the transfer and processing of personal data, as the providers of the embedded content require this consent as third-party service providers. [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]. By setting the switch to „On”, you agree to this (revocable at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Article 49(1)(a) of the GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can revoke your consent at any time using the key and privacy at the bottom of the page.

READ  After secret documents were found: Biden needs clarification
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *

World

Cavalry: Runaway army horses gallop through London

Published

on

Cavalry: Runaway army horses gallop through London

At least two British Army horses galloped through central London on Wednesday morning. Pictures and videos circulating online showed how they were tied up and bound the animals Run through crowded streets dodging buses, taxis and cars. One of the animals appears to have a bleeding wound on its chest.

According to police in the financial district British capital The terrified officers were finally able to capture the animals. They should then be taken to a veterinarian by army representatives. Consequently The Daily Telegraph Up to five military horses have dumped their riders during a morning exercise. At least one soldier was injured.

Number of wounded

An army spokesman confirmed that several horses withdrew during routine morning training. All animals were captured and returned. A number of army personnel and a number of horses were injured and are receiving medical treatment.

The emergency service said it was called to an operation near Buckingham Palace that morning due to a rider falling from a horse. In total, there were ambulance missions to three different locations in London, and four people were taken to hospital.

Many army regiments maintain riding stables in the British capital. Army horses are a common sight around government buildings, in Hyde Park, and near Buckingham Palace.

Continue Reading

World

Sell ​​or ban: USA gives TikTok an ultimatum

Published

on

Sell ​​or ban: USA gives TikTok an ultimatum

As of: April 24, 2024 at 5:28 AM

Short video app TikTok has to separate from its Chinese parent company Bytedance in the USA. The Senate also decided on this matter. The company now has one year – otherwise there is a risk of being banned.

The Senate also approved the US law aimed at forcing a change in ownership of the short video app TikTok. This means that it is now on the table of President Joe Biden, who previously announced that he would sign it.

China-based Bytedance Group will have a maximum of one year to separate from TikTok. Otherwise, the app should be banned from US app stores. It is unclear whether the plan can hold up in US courts. A previous threat to ban it there failed.

Accusation of influence peddling

The Senate approved the bill overnight by a large majority of 79 votes to 18. Bytedance is seen across all parties in the US as a Chinese company that should bend to the will of the Chinese Communist Party. That's why there are warnings that Chinese authorities may gain widespread access to data from American users – as well as use the platform for political influence. TikTok has denied this for years.

“For years, we allowed the Chinese Communist Party to control one of the most popular apps in America, and that was dangerously short-sighted,” said Senator Marco Rubio, the top Republican on the Intelligence Committee. “A new law will force the Chinese owner to sell the app. This is a good thing for America.”

READ  Africa Cup: scandal! Referee Gani Sikazwi closed the Tunisia-Mali match twice early

This law, which was passed for the second time in the House of Representatives a few days ago, this time forms part of a package aimed, among other things, at enabling new aid to Ukraine, which is under attack from Russia. That's why it passed through the Senate so quickly on the second try.

TikTok: Not a subsidiary of a Chinese company

The law puts Biden's Democrats in a dilemma: on the one hand, the president wants to take a tough stance on China, and on the other hand, the app is popular among young users, whose votes he needs to be re-elected in November. The Biden campaign team only opened a TikTok account this year.

TikTok confirms that it does not see itself as a subsidiary of a Chinese company. Bytedance is 60% owned by Western investors. The company's headquarters are located in the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean. However, American politicians counter that the Chinese founders, with a 20% stake, have maintained control thanks to higher voting rights and that Bytedance's headquarters are in Beijing, where they cannot escape the influence of the authorities.

TikTok has not yet commented directly after the vote. The company had already announced over the weekend that it wanted to take legal action against the law.

US courts blocked a similar ban attempt

TikTok claims to have 170 million users in the USA. During his US presidency, Donald Trump attempted to force the sale of TikTok's US business to US investors with threats of bans.

But the plan failed primarily because US courts suspected that plans to ban TikTok violated the freedom of expression enshrined in the US Constitution. An existing law in Montana that was supposed to ban TikTok from app stores there has also been suspended. Trump has now backed away from calls for a ban.

READ  'Inappropriate' because of the war: London: Russian army criticizes tank biathlon in Moscow

Continue Reading

World

Corruption allegations against Ivanov: Russian Deputy Defense Minister arrested

Published

on

Corruption allegations against Ivanov: Russian Deputy Defense Minister arrested

Corruption allegations against Ivanov
Arrest of the Russian Deputy Defense Minister

Listen to the material

This audio version was created artificially. More information | Send your opinion

One of Russia's deputy Defense Minister Shoigu is accused of accepting bribes. 48-year-old Timur Ivanov has now been arrested. Kremlin critic Navalny, who died in custody, had already accused him of unfair tactics in 2022.

More than two years after the start of the war, one of Russia's deputy defense ministers was arrested. The Russian Investigative Committee said on the Telegram application that Timur Ivanov is suspected of accepting bribes. The authority did not provide any details. He is accused of accepting bribes of at least 1 million rubles, or at least a little less than 10,000 euros, the state agency TASS reported. He faces up to 15 years in prison.

According to media reports, Ivanov, who has held this position since 2016, was primarily responsible for construction projects in the Ministry of Defense – including in the occupied eastern Ukrainian city of Mariupol, which was completely destroyed by the Russian army itself during the siege in the first months of 2016. War in 2022.

Navalny accused Ivanov two years ago

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has twelve deputies. Corruption allegations against the 48-year-old Ivanov had already been raised after the start of the war by the team of Kremlin opposition figure Alexei Navalny, who has since died in custody: In research published at the end of 2022, Kremlin opponents accused Ivanov of building estates in several regions. Russian by contractors funded by the Ministry of Defense.

Other investigative media also revealed corruption schemes by the Russian Ministry of Defense as part of the reconstruction of Mariupol. Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin, said after the arrest that Putin and Shoigu had been informed.

READ  This is how high gas consumption is in Germany at the moment | NDR.de - News
Continue Reading

Trending