DrTaliban rule in Afghanistan suspended the bodies of four suspected kidnappers who had shot them earlier in the western city of Herat on Saturday. Herat’s deputy governor, Sher Ahmad Muhajir, said hanging bodies from cranes should be a “lesson” to prevent kidnappings from being tolerated.
Exposing the bodies is the heaviest public punishment since the Taliban came to power in mid-August. A video clip showed one of the men who was shot while hanging from a crane with a warning on his chest: “This is how kidnappers are punished.”
Muhajir said that the security forces were informed of the kidnapping of a businessman and his son in Herat on Saturday morning. The police then closed the main roads and the Taliban took up a position at a checkpoint.
There was a shootout. “One of our Mujahideen was wounded,” Mohajer said in a statement made available to AFP after a battle that lasted a few minutes, while “the four kidnappers were killed.” “We are the Islamic Emirate,” said Muhajir. “No one should harm our nation.”
One of the founders of the Taliban, Mullah Nur al-Din al-Turabi, who is considered a hardliner, had already announced that public punitive measures such as execution or amputation of hands would be repeated. Since seizing power on August 15, there have been fears of rebuilding hard-line Taliban regimes.
“We criticized everyone because of the sanctions in the stadium, but we didn’t say anything about their laws and penalties,” al-Turabi said, a former justice minister during the first Taliban era. Nobody will tell us what our laws should be. We will follow Islam and make our laws according to the Qur’an.”
In the 1990s, the Taliban used the Olympic Stadium in Kabul to conduct public executions in front of hundreds of male spectators. In the past few weeks, Taliban fighters have already issued public punishments, such as showing thieves with their hands tied and humiliating.
The refugee agency is asking for donations
At the same time, the managing director of the United Nations Refugee Agency, the German partner of the UNHCR, Peter Rohenstroth-Bauer, requested donations due to the deteriorating situation for the population. “About $410 million is needed to fund the UN’s life-saving operation to help refugees,” he told RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland (Saturday). “In fact, only 42 percent of that amount is funded by government and private funds.”
It is not only about acute emergency aid, but also about continuing existing projects for girls or in the field of education, emphasized Rohenstrohe-Bauer: “Working there is necessary.”
It was reported that Afghanistan is in a severe crisis. There are more than 3.5 million internally displaced people, including some 630,000 people who have been forced to flee inside Afghanistan since the beginning of the year. According to experts, about half of 38 million Afghans are currently dependent on aid, and many of them are starving.
According to the United Nations, the crisis is not only related to the Taliban’s seizure of power, but also the ongoing drought and the Corona epidemic. Only recently, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned of an economic catastrophe.