The volcano in Cumbre Vieja in La Palma continues to rage. The lava flow is increasing towards the sea and huge pieces of lava are thrown over the island.
Update from Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 10:38 a.m.: The volcano in Cumbre Vieja in La Palma continues to rage. The lava has already destroyed more than 1,000 homes, including that of German Rüdiger Singer. He told RTL that his house was buried days ago by a scorching lava flow.
Singer migrated to the volcanic island 20 years ago. Together with his Spanish wife, they own a pizzeria. Whether the restaurant will survive the volcanic eruption, Singer explains.
‘Volcanic bombs’ in La Palma: New eruption in Cumber Vieja – ‘ash as far as the eye can see’
Update on Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 2:56 pm: The outbreak was at Cumbre Vieja in La Palma two and a half weeks ago – so it washed away the tourist areas. In the center of the exclusion zone is Puerto Naos, in fact a popular vacation spot. Right now, you can only see “black ash as far as the eye can see” there. Spiegel.de reports. The volcano is currently emitting huge clouds of smoke and ash. Then it drops its contents onto the island. Puerto Naos is currently not allowed to enter without permission from the authorities.
Meanwhile, the Canary Institute of Volcanoes Involcan is providing information on so-called “volcanic bombs” – football-sized lava rocks that have been thrown hundreds of meters above the island and into the sea. The volcano becomes more active again, and the molten rock reaches the sea, where it solidifies. To date, a peninsula of more than 33 hectares has been formed. But this continues to grow. Experts are currently unable to predict how long the Cumbre Vieja eruption will last in La Palma. However, it may take weeks.
La Palma: Volcano cone collapse – another earthquake on the island
Update from Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 6.42 a.m.: The cone of the volcano on the Canary island of La Palma has partially collapsed, and the lava flow has intensified towards the sea. Spanish state television station RTVE reported on Monday that hot rocks over 1,000 degrees were tumbling down a slope on the same track as before. So additional evacuations weren’t necessary at first.
In Madrid, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced an emergency program with aid payments of 206 million euros. Since the eruption began, lava has destroyed more than 1,000 buildings and wreaked havoc on agriculture and infrastructure. More than 5,500 people were forced to leave their homes.
La Palma: the volcano is now “more aggressive” – earthquake on the island again
Update from Sunday October 3, 2021 at 8.45am: The land in Cumbre Vieja in La Palma is restless. According to the authorities, the volcano that erupted on the Canary Island two weeks ago is now “more aggressive”. More fissures were opened on the mountain, from which lava spurted out and flowed towards the sea.
During the night, the island of La Palma was hit by more earthquakes. Authorities have recorded seismic activities with a magnitude of 3.5 on the Richter scale a total of eight times. According to experts, earthquakes of this type indicate more volcanic activity in the coming days.
La Palma: new lava flow after a volcanic eruption – thousands of people evacuated
Update from Saturday October 2, 2021 at 8:10 PM: About 3,800 residents of directly affected areas are allowed to leave their homes just two weeks after a volcano erupted on the Canary island of La Palma. Local authorities cited the reason for this as an improvement in air quality, particularly in places where curfews have been imposed in the past few days. These include the cities of Los Llanos, Tazacorte and El Paso in southern La Palma.
However, a stream of hot lava is making its way over La Palma. Authorities said lava, which reached nearly 1,000 degrees Celsius, destroyed more than 1,000 buildings. Since then, 6,000 residents have been evacuated in several villages. “Here you can see a lot of people crying all the time,” German news agency DPA quoted an elderly man at the site as saying.
La Palma: new lava flow after a volcanic eruption – curfew due to toxic gases
First report on Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 4:29 pm: La Palma – A new lava flow is making its way on the Canary island of La Palma. In about two weeks Volcano eruption in Cumber Vega* Form a new creek on the slope of the mountain. This was reported by Agence France-Presse, referring to information from the Spanish Institute of Geology and Mining.
Due to the constant activity of the volcano in La Palma, curfews have been imposed on two sites. Los Llanos de Aridane and El Paso citizens are not allowed to leave their homes until further notice. The reason is the poisonous gases that could have been emitted from the volcanic eruption. This is stated in the online version of ARD Tagesschau. About 3,500 people were reportedly affected by the curfew.
Volcanic eruption in La Palma: lava reaches the sea around the island
Since the beginning of the current eruption in La Palma, more than 80 million cubic meters of lava have been released. This was stated by the head of the Canarian regional government, Angel Victor Torres. Last week, lava reached the sea surrounding the island for the first time. Since then it has formed an area of more than 20 hectares. This continues to grow and significantly expands the island of La Palma. If lava hits water, it cools quickly. This produces large amounts of smoke and toxic gases, which is why a 3.5-kilometer safety zone has been established.
So far, the people of La Palma Island descended lightly. There were no wounded or dead. 6,000 of the island’s approximately 85,000 residents had to be evacuated. Air traffic to the island, popular with tourists, had to be suspended completely at times. The lava also destroyed hundreds of buildings and hundreds of hectares of banana plantations.
‘It was a spacecraft’ – China denies hypersonic missile report
| Reading time: 2 minutes
In August, Beijing was said to have tested a hypersonic nuclear missile. Now China has denied the report: it was just a matter of routine spacecraft tests. Meanwhile, a US lawmaker warned of the outbreak of a new Cold War.
NSHina denied a media report that the People’s Republic of China had tested a hypersonic missile suitable for nuclear weapons. “It was a spacecraft, not a missile,” a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Monday. They were routine tests to test technology for reusing the spacecraft. It happened in July.
A representative of the US Congress interpreted the report on China’s test of a nuclear-capable hypersonic missile as a wake-up call. “This test should be a call to action,” Republican Mike Gallagher said Sunday (local time). “If we stick to our current inactive trajectory, (…) we will lose the new Cold War with communist China within this decade.”
Undermining US missile defense and threatening nuclear strikes
As reported by the Financial Times on Saturday, citing five anonymous sources, Beijing is said to have tested a hypersonic missile capable of producing nuclear weapons in August. It circled the globe once in a low orbit before missing its target by about 15 km. According to the report, the test should show that the Chinese military is already more advanced in its hypersonic weapons program than previously assumed by US intelligence agencies. Hypersonic weapons are particularly difficult to intercept because they can reach more than five times the speed of sound.
According to Gallagher, China is increasingly able to undermine the US missile defense system and even threaten it with nuclear strikes. The Republican represents the US state of Wisconsin in the House of Representatives, and is a member of an important committee on the US armed forces.
Plain text. Stefan Ost about the situation
Both the United States and Russia are currently working on hypersonic missiles. North Korea also said it tested a hypersonic missile in September. The Chinese Defense Ministry in Beijing initially did not comment on the media report.
Due to the large number of illegal entries from Poland, unionists from the Federal Police have called for control measures according to a press report. There is a risk of another crash like in 2015.
The head of the Federal Police Union, Heinz Tegert, urges the introduction of temporary border controls in Poland. Tigert justified this in a letter to Interior Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU) with, among other things, a large number of unauthorized entries at the German-Polish border and health risks to federal police personnel, Bild reported.
“For several months, the number of arrests increased almost explosively,” the newspaper quoted the letter as saying. Only with the introduction of temporary border controls can the federal government prevent a “collapse” at the border as it did in 2015.
Health risks for officials
Tiggert continued: “Our colleagues are also exposed to significant health risks, as the infection with the Covid virus is still very high, especially in the countries of origin of migrants (Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, etc.) that the authorities registered very rarely.” Hygiene regulations, as usual in Germany and Europe, of course will not be adhered to in the “smuggling process”.
Governments in Latvia, Lithuania and Poland accuse Belarus’s governor, Alexander Lukashenko, of moving refugees from crisis regions to the EU’s external borders in an orderly fashion. Lukashenko announced at the end of May that Minsk would not prevent migrants from continuing to travel to the European Union – in response to tough Western sanctions against his country. Since then, reports of attempts to cross the border illegally at the EU’s external border with Belarus and at the German-Polish border have increased.
In the US, Transportation Secretary Buttigieg caused an uproar because he took parental leave. Hatred comes from the political opponent, and now the Democrat responds and defends his decision – with a small tip against a prominent critic.
US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, the US Democratic star, has defended his paternity leave. Buttigieg told CNN he wouldn’t apologize to anyone for looking after his twins. Chasten, 39, and his husband adopted newborn twins this summer. Buttigieg said he is proud to take parental leave. He is the first gay federal minister in the United States.
Right-wing populist TV presenter Tucker Carlson mocked Buttigieg on his Fox News show last week. He’s trying to figure out how to breastfeed, he scoffed. “As you can imagine, we bottle-feed our kids — any time of the day or night,” Buttigieg said. It is “a joyful, satisfying, wonderful act” and everyone in the United States should have the opportunity to do so after having a child. The United States has no legal regulation of paid parental leave – only a few states have legal entitlements.
Buttigieg had previously reacted to Carlson’s statement and noted that it was strange that criticism had come from a party that always presented itself as a family friend. Buttigieg took parental leave in mid-August. Critics have complained that the US is currently struggling with major delivery bottlenecks – an issue that also falls within Buttigieg’s portfolio. He emphasized that he is always accessible while on parental leave.
Until the end of 2019, Buttigieg was mayor of a city of 100,000 residents in the US state of Indiana. Then Buttigieg caused a sensation as a presidential candidate for the US Democrats. But he quickly fell behind in the primaries and eventually gave up his candidacy. Since then, he has supported the election winner, Joe Biden. Ultimately, President Biden appointed Buttigieg as Secretary of Transportation.