Connect with us

World

NEOM: A “completely ridiculous” design with no purpose, says the professor

Published

on

NEOM: A “completely ridiculous” design with no purpose, says the professor

Photography of the line.
NEOM

One expert says that “The Line” in NEOM is a “completely crazy” project.

The futuristic city consists of two mirrored skyscrapers approximately 650 feet (about 198 meters) tall.

Architects and planners have long questioned the practicality and sustainability of the project.

This is a machine translation of an article from our American colleagues at Business Insider. Automatically translated and verified by a real editor.

The Line – a section of NEOM consisting of two mirrored skyscrapers – is one of the most prominent areas of the planned mega-city. Saudi Arabia’s plans for the futuristic city have stunned architects and designers. Also those who worked on the original designs. These giant structures have been criticized for their impact on wildlife, their suitability for everyday use and their general practicality.

Andreas Krieg is Professor at the Institute of Middle East Studies at King’s College London. He gave an interview to Business Insider and says The Line’s plans are „completely ridiculous.” “The line is an unsustainable project. It is a completely ridiculous mega-project that was never possible due to the enormous cost,” he explained. He said that while some areas of NEOM have clear goals, the central city “has no real purpose” or “use.”

The megacity will also include an octagonal floating city with a sustainable harbour, a luxury island resort and a ski and adventure mountain. “From a government trade strategy perspective, NEOM is a very viable project that has a lot to offer,” Craig said. “But you need a plan on how to implement it. So that it attracts investors. “Saudi Arabia has not done that yet,” he added.

Satellite image of construction work in

Satellite image of construction work on The Line.
Satellite image © 2024 Maxar Technologies

Plans for the mega-city have reportedly been scaled back in recent months. Originally, The Line was expected to be inhabited by 9 million people by 2030. However, according to a recent report from Bloomberg, that estimate has been reduced to fewer than 300,000 people by that point.

Planners were also concerned about the costs associated with the project. Executives working at NEOM reportedly rejected the official $500 billion figure as unrealistically low. The first 1.5 miles (2.41 kilometers) of the road alone are expected to cost more than $100 billion (about 93 euros). Two people familiar with the work told the Wall Street Journal.

“The world has never seen anything like The Line before,” Craig said. “There has never been a project that has had so much like it resources „It was gutted and served no real purpose,” he added. Additionally, Craig is not the first to question the viability of the Shining City.

Last year, British architect Peter Cook, involved in the project, described the city as „amazing absurdity”. He added that the proposed height was „a bit ridiculous and unreasonable,” according to The Architect’s Journal. NEOM representatives did not respond to a request for comment.

Read also

'Ambitious but not revolutionary’: This is what city planners say about Saudi Arabia’s $1 billion NEOM project

READ  Rockfall threatens to roll the entire community down
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *

World

Setback for Orban: After 'Peace Mission’ – EU moves ministerial meeting from Budapest to Brussels

Published

on

Setback for Orban: After 'Peace Mission’ – EU moves ministerial meeting from Budapest to Brussels
outside After the „Orban Peace Mission”

’Symbolic’ Consequences – EU Moves Ministerial Meeting From Budapest to Brussels

Hungary, led by Viktor Orban, has held the presidency of the Council of the European Union since July 1.

Hungary, led by Viktor Orban, has held the presidency of the Council of the European Union since July 1.

Source: German Press Agency/Alexander Zemlianichenko

There is still a lot of anger in Brussels about Viktor Orbán’s “peace mission”: EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell wants to ban Budapest from the next meeting of foreign and defence ministers. But the shot could backfire.

You can listen to our WELT audio files here.

In order to display embedded content, it is necessary to obtain your revocable consent to the transfer and processing of personal data, as the providers of embedded content require this consent as external service providers. [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]By setting the switch to “On”, you consent to this (revocable at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Article 49(1)(a) of the GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can revoke your consent at any time using the switch and privacy at the bottom of the page.

DrThe European Commission is drawing further conclusions from Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s unilateral actions: EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on Monday that upcoming meetings of foreign and defence ministers will be held in Brussels – not in the Hungarian capital Budapest.

READ  Ukrainian President Zelensky talks about the Russian power struggle: "Putin has lost his power" | Policy

Borrell said after a ministerial meeting in Brussels that he had taken the decision after a majority of ministers spoke out against Hungary and wanted to impose „symbolic” consequences on the country. According to Borrell, 25 foreign ministers condemned Orban’s behaviour. The Hungarian received support only from Slovakia.

But Borrell has also been heavily criticised for his uncoordinated move to cancel the Budapest meeting. “Spain does not support a boycott in the EU,” Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares said. Luxembourg’s Foreign Minister Xavier Bettel called the idea of ​​a boycott “nonsense”. Bettel said he would rather go to Budapest and express his opinion to the Hungarians. Germany, France and the Netherlands have also voiced opposition to Borrell’s proposal.

Read also

In Brussels, it cannot be ruled out that Borrell’s boycott campaign will ultimately backfire: several ministers are now said to be staying away from the Brussels meeting on 28-30 August in protest.

Read also

Hungary has held the six-month rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union since the beginning of July. Immediately after that visit began, Orbán made a surprise visit to Ukraine, Russia and China on a self-proclaimed “peace mission.” He also met with US presidential candidate Donald Trump. His meetings have drawn criticism from EU member states.

The European Commission had already reached its first conclusions a week ago. A Council spokesman had said that no commissioners would be sent to informal meetings of the Hungarian Council Presidency, but only senior officials. The decision was taken by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen. There will also be no customary inaugural visit by the Commission to the new Council Presidency.

READ  Moldova: Fearing Russia - the European Union is preparing a civilian mission

Continue Reading

World

Trump camp launches attack after Biden withdrawal

Published

on

Trump camp launches attack after Biden withdrawal

As of: July 23, 2024 at 11:29 AM

After Biden’s withdrawal from the US election campaign, Vice President Harris appears to be the new Democratic nominee. The Trump camp and the Republicans have already adjusted their strategy.

While US President Joe Biden is widely respected by Democrats for his decision, the reaction from Republicans seems somewhat different.

The crowd began to boo when Trump’s running mate, J.D. Vance, declared at a rally in Ohio: “Joe Biden is out of the race.” In his hometown of Middletown, the newly elected Vance has now thrown himself into the campaign.

That has changed dramatically for the Republican Party as a result of Biden’s withdrawal. So they are immediately adopting a new strategy and portraying the planned change of candidates as undemocratic.

Republicans make serious claims

Vance, for example, rails against the supposed Democratic elite who, in his view, were pulling the strings in the background: “Now to nominate someone else because George Soros and Barack Obama and a few elite Democrats decided behind closed doors to prioritize the Democrats.” Joe Biden is out “This is a threat to democracy. It’s not the Republican Party that fights for democracy every day.”

House Republican Leader Mike Johnson goes a step further. On CNN, he says that in some states you can’t just change the nominee. 14 million people voted for him in the primary — and Biden’s withdrawal now renders their votes invalid.

In the US states of Wisconsin, Georgia and Nevada, there are already regulations on how to conduct a candidate swap, but since Biden has not yet been formally nominated, it probably won’t help that Republicans go to court much.

READ  Rockfall threatens to roll the entire community down

Anti-Harris commercials are already running.

The second strategy directly targets Biden’s likely successor, current Vice President Kamala Harris. Donald Trump, who is running for the White House as a Republican, has already made a pitch at a campaign event in Michigan..

Trump, who mispronounced her name, says he just calls her „Laughing Kamala.” „You can tell a lot from her amazing smile,” the 78-year-old said. „She’s crazy.”

But the attacks are not limited to the personal level: Trump and Republicans are also blaming Harris on the political level — for everything the Biden administration has done.

Just an hour after he announced he would not run for re-election, the first TV ads came out: Harris was accused of covering up Biden’s supposedly poor health.

The short ad reads: “Kamala knew Joe couldn’t do the job, so she did it.” What they achieved was an invasion of the border, soaring inflation, and the death of the American dream.

Attack Surface When It Comes to Immigration

The immigration issue in particular could make Harris vulnerable to Republicans. As vice president, President Biden has tasked her with immigration policy.

“She didn’t do her job,” Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott said on Fox News. “Harris is a failure.” Abbott said Americans should reject her at the ballot box in November.

It remains unclear whether Kamala Harris will actually run as a Democrat. Republicans are certainly preparing for that.

Continue Reading

World

Trump furious after Biden resignation – former president sees ‘danger to democracy’

Published

on

Trump furious after Biden resignation – former president sees ‘danger to democracy’
  1. Homepage
  2. Policy

He presses

Donald Trump is angry. After Joe Biden dropped out of the presidential race, the Republican reacted angrily.

Updated from July 22, 1:53 p.m.: A day after Joe Biden dropped out, Donald Trump continues to distribute. The former US president wrote on TruthSocial: “It’s a new day and Joe Biden doesn’t remember dropping out of the race yesterday! He’s demanding his campaign plan and arranging talks with Presidents Xi (China) and Putin (Russia) about the possible start of World War III.

“He loses the debate badly, then panics and makes mistake after mistake. Then he is told he can’t win. They decide to vote for someone else, maybe Harris. They stole the race from Biden after he won the primary – for the first time! These people are the real danger to democracy!” Donald Trump wrote regarding the latest developments in American politics.

After Joe Biden Withdraws: Trump May Run Against Harris in US Elections

Updated from July 22, 12:02 PM: For Trump, Joe Biden’s withdrawal is likely to open a new chapter in the US election campaign. Shortly after Biden’s comments, the Republican vented his anger and criticized his former rival. He, in turn, tried to appoint Kamala Harris as his successor. Current analysis of the surveys written by CNN Meanwhile, he sees a close race between Trump and Harris if the two politicians run against each other in the 2024 US election.

CNN found that the average of the last six polls would give Trump 48% of the vote. Harris would get 47%. Political expert David Sirakov sees Democrats’ chances in the US presidential election improving significantly after Joe Biden’s withdrawal as a candidate. “The withdrawal has the potential to be a game changer. It’s an opportunity for Democrats to get back on the political front,” he said.

READ  The Defense Minister wants to take Putin's threats seriously

Trump responds to Biden’s withdrawal: 'It’s a threat to democracy’

Updated from July 22, 10:43 AM: Donald Trump is still angry after Biden dropped out of the 2024 US presidential race. On Truthsocial, he once again criticized his former rival, writing: “Who is running our country right now? It’s not Crooked Joe. He has no idea where he is. If he can’t run for president, he can’t run our country!!!” Meanwhile, Trump said: “Biden did not have Covid. He is a threat to democracy!”

Meanwhile, in the wake of recent developments in US politics, the Republican front-runner also sees himself as needing „compensation” after spending money on the campaign against Biden.

Biden Withdrawal Impact: Stock Market and Bitcoin Reaction – Trump With Confidence

Update from July 22, 9:40 AM: The withdrawal of Joe Biden and the search for a successor to run in the US elections in 2024 is the dominant topic in the United States. There is currently no official opponent for Donald Trump. In these turbulent times, the US stock market started the new week with a setback. On the other hand, the cryptocurrency Bitcoin has risen significantly: the price rose to more than $ 68,000 on Monday, its highest level in more than a month. Last night, the oldest and most popular cryptocurrency was temporarily trading at just under $ 68,500 on the Bitstamp trading platform.

According to analyst Timo Emden of Emden Research, the assumption in the crypto market is still that Donald Trump will win the upcoming presidential election and return to the White House as president. Trump is an advocate of reduced regulation and is generally seen as a supporter of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.

READ  What are Putin's forces planning? Zelensky warns of a "historic catastrophe" | Policy

Donald Trump Responds to Biden’s Withdrawal Ahead of US Elections, Feels 'Scammed’

Update from July 22, 5:45 AM: After Joe Biden’s withdrawal, Donald Trump is clearly angry. His campaign team has invested time and money in “the battle against fraudulent Joe Biden.” “We must now start over,” Trump wrote on the online platform Truth Social. The 78-year-old suggested that Republicans should compensate for the “fraud” on his party.

Update from July 21, 10:30 PM: About an hour after his initial reaction, Donald Trump retaliated against US President Joe Biden after he dropped out of the election campaign. “Corrupt Joe Biden is by far the worst president in the history of our nation. He has done everything in his power to destroy our country, from our southern border to energy dominance, national security, international standing and so much more,” Trump wrote in another post on Truth Social.

“He was destroyed in a devastating debate, and now the corrupt and radical Democrats are throwing him overboard,” Trump continued, referring to the failed televised debate. “He was unfit to serve from the start, but the people around him lied to America about his complete and utter mental, physical and cognitive decline. Whoever the Left puts forward now will be more of the same.”

Trump’s reaction to Biden’s withdrawal from the US election campaign

First report for July 21: Email WASHINGTON, DC — It’s been a long-running speculation, but it finally happened on Sunday night. U.S. President Joe Biden has withdrawn his candidacy for the 2024 U.S. presidential election after mounting criticism from his own ranks. He wants to focus on his duties as president and is proposing his vice president, Kamala Harris, as the new Democratic nominee. It didn’t take long for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump to respond.

READ  Ukrainian President Zelensky talks about the Russian power struggle: "Putin has lost his power" | Policy
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump made extensive use of his first campaign appearance since the assassination attempt to mock rival Joe Biden’s problems. © Katie Boehmer/Saginaw News/AP/dpa

Trump Responds to Biden Withdrawal – ‘Not Fit to Serve’

“Corrupt Joe Biden was unfit to run for President and certainly unfit to serve — and never was!” Trump wrote on his Truth Social messaging service. “He only got the job of President through lies, fake news, and never leaving his basement,” the former president continued. Biden’s inner circle knew the president was unfit for office, and Trump continues to make the claims, attacking Biden’s doctors and the media in particular.

Trump wrote that the United States had suffered „great damage” from Biden’s presidency, but that he and his team „will repair the damage very quickly” after he concluded his re-election statement with the slogan „Make America Great Again.”

Trump Reacts to Biden Withdrawal – Vance’s Rep Also Calls for Immediate Resignation as President of the United States

Since announcing his candidacy, Trump has attacked Biden for his age and alleged lack of mental fitness. After Biden’s poor performance in a live televised duel with Donald Trump, a growing chorus of voices within the Democratic Party has been raised against the US president and disqualified from running again.

J.D. Vance, Trump’s running mate, had called for Biden to withdraw just hours earlier. He said that if the US president withdrew his candidacy, he should also resign from office. “Failure to seek re-election would be a clear admission that President Trump was right all along in his belief that Biden was not mentally fit to serve as commander-in-chief,” Vance wrote on X.

Trump’s reaction to Biden’s withdrawal from the US election campaign – the statement literally

“Crooked Joe Biden (Crooked Joe Biden) was not fit to run for President and is certainly not fit to hold office – and never was! He became President only through lies, fake news, and not leaving his basement. Everyone around him, including his own doctor and the media, knew he was not fit to be President, and he was not – and now look what he has done to our country, with millions of people, coming across our borders, completely out of control and unchecked, many from prisons and psychiatric institutions and a record number of terrorists. We will suffer greatly under his Presidency, but we will repair the damage he has done very quickly. Let’s Make America Great Again!” (FD)

Continue Reading

Trending